Dangerous Foods Your Dogs Should Never Eat
Although not deadly for dogs, eating avocados may cause mild stomach upsets. This is due to persin, whcih is found in all parts of avocado plant including leaves, bark etc. Accidentally swallowing the avocado seed is more dangerous for dogs, as it can get stuck in the dogs throat or intestines.
Onions, Chives & Garlic
Onions, garlic and chives all contain a compound they can cause gastroenteritis, anaemia and serious damage to red blood cells in dogs. Garlic is five times more potent than onions and should be kept away from dogs at all times. Signs of poisoning often do not appear until several days have passed, if you believe ypur dog has eaten onions, garlic or chives its suggested you take them to the vet even if you see no signs of poisioning.
Grapes and Raisins
Not harmful to some types of dogs but have been associated with kidney failure in some dogs. Therefore to be safe, its suggested to keep grapes and raisings away from all dogs
Extremely serious, take dog to vet asap, dog can develop long term kidney disease or even die from kidney failure within four days
Milk & Dairy Products
Although not poisionous to dogs milk and dairy products may upset your dogs digestive system. Lactose intolerance is common in dogs and therefore it is suggested not to feed your pup dairy products.
Cause weakness, paralysis and lack of coordination. Keep away from dogs at all times.
Stimulates dogs nervous systems – hyperactivity, vomiting, elevated heart rate, seizures
Also known as artificial sweetener, Xylitol can be found in sugar free gum, toothpaste, mouthwash and chewable vitamins. Ingestion of xylitol may cause a drop in the dogs blood sugar, which can be life threatening. If you believe your dog has ingested xylitol contact vet immediately as a single piece of gum could be toxic.
It is a well known fact that chocolate is harmful for dogs. Unlike humans, dogs can’t metabolize choclolate. Ingeston of chocolate may result in vomitting, diarrhea, increased thirst, lethargy, muscle tremors, irregular heartbeat, high body temperature, seizures and even death. The darker the chocolate the more dangerous it is for your dog as the darker the chocolate, the higher concentration of caffeine and theobromine, which both cause toxicosis in dogs.
12 March 2019 - by Morgie & Dan